New manager

Home Forums The Kevin Tomlinson SLE Forum New manager

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Tom Read 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Tom Read
    Participant

All our successful/popular/respected managers have been those with a connection to Macclesfield, and a good knowledge of the league we’re in, the local non-league scene, the club, the area, the fans.

Brian Booth, Peter Wragg, Sammy McIlroy, Gil Prescott, John Askey.

Brian Horton’s one good season doesn’t count because it was with a squad moulded by John Askey. As soon as he put his own stamp on things, it was disastrous. I also don’t really count Paul Ince – for me, he was a bit of a one-trick pony, suddenly giving 3rd Division players Premier League style treatment (who wouldn’t be inspired by that?) When he then went to manage in the Prem, he couldn’t pull that stunt, and it didn’t work out for him. His assistant Ray Matthias had the attributes of the others mentioned above, and getting drawn away at Chelsea in the 3rd Round gave us enough of a boost to just about get over the line.

It seems to me to be successful at this club, you have to know this club and love this club. What a difference it made to the whole spirit and atmosphere on Saturday with Danny Whitaker in sole charge. There was an attractive style of play (aided and abetted by the return of injured players) and the fans getting behind the manager and the team. The team looked unrecognisable from previous games.

And all I’ve seen are the highlights! I was gigging and couldn’t get to the game – but from the highlights alone, the difference in style of play, atmosphere, team spirit, togetherness, support – was absolutely striking!

So for me, Sol Campbell, or any other so-called ‘big name’ with no connection to Macclesfield or North West grass roots football, is not the answer.

For me, there are only two candidates: Danny Whit or Sir John.

Because those are the only two that care enough, that have the connections and knowledge of football round here, that know how to play good football, and that the fans will get right behind – even in adversity.

Given that the position may still be untenable for SJA (but who knows if Mr Blower has vacated his position?), then we surely have to get behind Danny. The players are clearly playing for him, and the fans love and respect him.

The last two or three years, SJA united our club and gave us back the feelgood factor. We now know he did this in spite of difficulties behind the scenes – quite a remarkable achievement. We now must have someone who can put the fans’ focus back on the football, and give them something to cheer about. Danny Whitaker ticks the boxes – and is the only one to do so as far as I can see.

I genuinely believe he is our only realistic option and our only realistic chance of staying in the EFL. If the unrealistic happened and SJA returned, under his terms, then I’d be delighted. It’s got to be Danny though, hasn’t it?

[BTW, PB – when I do eventually make it back to the Moss, I’d still be very keen for a copy of the Carlisle programme].

macchiavelli
    Participant

‘I genuinely believe he is our only realistic option and our only realistic chance of staying in the EFL. If the unrealistic happened and SJA returned, under his terms, then I’d be delighted. It’s got to be Danny though, hasn’t it?’

Er, no. It’s Sol Campbell!

Tom Read
    Participant

Wrong choice IMHO. I genuinely hope to be proved wrong.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.