- Well having given up on even remotely trying to compete with Jenny Kelly’s sublime report on last Saturday’s amazing game against the Valiants of Port Vale, yours truly has decided to concentrate his attention on DANNY WHITAKER, our legendary number 23 and so has dedicated his ten things this week to writing about Danny’s testimonial game against a Celebrity XI on Sunday 5th May 2019.
- Danny is one of the most likeable and unassuming of Silkmen legends and so it goes without saying that every Silkmen fan should do their very best to maximise income by their attendance at the game for arguably one of the most popular Silkmen players in our illustrious history.
- There will many present and former Silkmen legends on show during the game, not to mention some very popular characters from within the world of ‘soap’ to support the immesably likeable Wilmslow born midfield maestro
- The cost is £10 for adults, £5 for concessions and £1 for under 12’s for the game which kicks off at 2.00 p.m. The Moss Lane ticket office will be open from 12 noon and there will be a minimum of two turnstiles open from 1.00 p.m, but they will only take cash for adults (£10) with those wanting concessions needing to go to the ticket office.
- The doors and bar to the McIlroy Suite will be open from 12 noon, and you can get a pay on the day carvery for £9.95 per person. Access to the McIlroy Suite will be provided on demonstration of a valid match ticket at the top of the stairs, and as this is likely to be very popular; you would need to get there as early as possible. You can also avoid disappointment on the day by pre-booking for the carvery, so please contact yours truly at Gmacworth@aol.com to make sure you secure what is sure to be a very enjoyable bit of Sunday lunchtime grub. There will also be two kiosks open for people to get the usual match-day fayre.
- Keith’s Bar will also be open for people to purchase drinks and people can take alcoholic drinks outside to the seats but only in plastic cups. Glasses will be of course available to those wishing to drink inside the McIlroy Suite / Keith’s bar.
- There will be programmes available for the match priced at £1, but please be aware that this will be a twelve page programme only. The testimonial committee are in the process of putting together a glossy commemorative programme (about 70 pages long) that will provide a more comprehensive insight into Danny; his career and of course the events that have occurred during this testimonial season (with lots of pictures) to raise as much money as possible for him.
- 50/50 tickets will be available with half going to the lucky winner and of course half going to Danny so if we can encourage as many people as possible to buy at least one 50/50 ticket both Danny and the lucky winner will do very well indeed!
- Neither Butch’s Bar or the club shop are open this Sunday, and we have ensured that there is appropriate medical cover for both the public and players for the day.
- This weekend is a momentous one for both the club and one of it’s most celebrated players, so please get along to both games (if you can) and support your local team and one of it’s heroes to have the best weekend as a football club since that wonderful day at Eastleigh last year. I am Silkmen till I die!
Chairperson of the Danny Whitaker Testimonial Committee
Featured Image courtesy of Chelsie Wilson.