The Complete History of Gateshead’s Visits To The Moss Rose.

Gateshead have visited the Moss Rose on twelve previous occasions in their current guise and as we look forward to Tuesday evening’s National League clash, we take a look back at each of these.

The two sides met on numerous occasions whilst The Heed were known as Gateshead United (largely in the Northern Premier League) but the first time “Gateshead” visited the Moss Rose was back in August 1990, where Peter Wragg’s side ran out 4 – 0 winners in front of a crowd of 1306.

A brace from Steve Burr was added to by Chris Camden and Steve Hanlon, as Macc secured their first victory of the season.


A brace from Burry helped put Gateshead to the sword in 1990 (Pic courtesy of Keith Wilson).

Former Manchester United apprentice Tony Hopley scored the only goal of the game when Gateshead returned to the Moss Rose in April 1992.

Hopley would be released at the end of that season, after scoring two goals in two competitive starts for the club.

Wraggy’s side were battling against Vauxhall Conference relegation when The Heed made the journey to Cheshire in March 1993.

In what proved to be Peter’s last season in charge, Stuart Leicester handed Macc three precious points when he scored the match winner five minutes into the second half.

Pic Quiz Stuart Leicester

Stuart Leicester: Match winner in March 1993 (Pic courtesy of Keith Wilson)

Our biggest victory against Gateshead came on 6th November 1993, as Sammy McIlroy’s men warmed up for their FA Cup First Round tie against Hartlepool United by hitting The  Heed for six.

John Askey bagged a hat-trick that day, with Steve Wood, Chris Sharratt and Phil Power all on the scoresheet – in addition to a consolidation strike for the visitors.

John Askey KW

Sir John’s treble helped secure an emphatic 6 – 1 victory in 1993 (Pic courtesy of Keith Wilson)

The Maltese Falcon was terrorising the Gateshead defence twelve months later, as Power scored a brace in our 2 – 1 victory which gave Macc another three points on the way to lifting the league title.

The Silkmen entertained Gateshead just before Christmas back in 1995 and just when we all thought that we weren’t on Santa’s nice list, Neil Howarth struck an 87th minute winner to give us maximum points.

Promotion to the Football League was getting ever close for McIlroy’s side when the two sides locked horns again in March 1997.

Phil Power would score a brace that day and this was added to by a John Askey strike right on half time.

Phil Power KW

Phil Power: Helped Macc take another step towards the Football League in 1997 (Pic courtesy of Keith Wilson)

This would represent Macc’s seventh home victory over Gateshead and as we entered the Football League, we boasted a perfect home record against them.

That would change in emphatic style following our next encounter, which wasn’t played until February 2013.

Gateshead secured their first win of the year, as goals three goals in the opening twenty minutes effectively ended the game as a contest.

A brace from Jamie Chandler was added to by James Brown and Ryan Donaldson to end Macc;s six game unbeaten run and send The Heed home on the back of a 4 – 0 rout.

It didn’t get that much better for the home side when the two sides met next in April 2014.

A Carl Larkin header gave the visitors the lead on 26 minutes, with Larkin then turning provider as he laid the ball off for Marcus Maddison to fire an unstoppable drive past Rhys Taylor to seal a 2 – 0 victory.

Gateshead Football Club Logo

The spoils were shared later in 2014 as Sir John’s side extended their unbeaten home record courtesy of Arthur Gnahoua’s majestic left footed strike.

Danny Wright then equalised for Gateshead, which meant that the game ended as a draw for the first time.

Winning ways were restored in October 2015, when Kristian Dennis fired home his tenth goal of the season for the hosts.

Dennis ran on to Danny Rowe’s through ball, before confidently slotting the ball home with what proved to be the match winner.

The last time the two sides met at the Moss Rose was inbetween our FA Trophy Semi-Finals with Tranmere last year.


John McCoombe: Equalised for The Silkmen in the last Moss Rose clash. (Pic courtesy of Chelsie Wilson).

Gateshead’s six game winning run came to an end that night, despite Manny Smith giving the visitors the lead on 75 minutes.

Macc battled back and parity was restored seven minutes later, courtesy of a John McCoombe header.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.