Baba Blasts Blues To Victory

Noe Baba’s stunning 30 yard strike proved to be enough as The Silkmen claimed an opening day victory at the Racecourse Ground.

Buoyed by a very vociferous away following, the visitors struggled to get in to the game during the early exchanges, with Keith Lowe proving to be a rock in the heart of The Silkmen’s defence.

With just three minutes gone, Lowe’s last gasp tackle ensured that former Macc striker Chris Holroyd did not have a clear run on goal, as our hosts began to dominate possession.

Danny Whitaker was proving to be instrumental in the centre of midfield, and broke up wave after wave of Wrexham pressure as Macc limited the Red Dragons to speculative long range efforts.

Despite the home side’s pressure, it was Macc who took the lead just before the quarter hour mark when Noe Baba collected the ball thirty yards from goal and hit a low drive which flew past Dunn in the Wrexham goal and into the backlights of the net.

Cue the visiting supporters to go wild with elation – yet with nearly seventy five minutes to be played, the job was hardly complete.



Noe Baba celebrates giving Macc the lead (pic courtesy of Chelsie Wilson).


The goal seemed to catalyse Macc in to life, and just three minutes later Elliott Durrell’s ferocious free-kick from the left somehow managed to evade everyone when a mere touch would have seen our lead doubled.

Two minutes later, the same thing happened when Danny Whitaker found space down the left, only for his teasing cross along the six yard line to agonisingly not get the required touch on it.

Six minutes later it was Durrell again who flew down the left had flank, before his pinpoint cross was latched on to by Tyrone Marsh at the far post, yet the speed of the delivery caught him unaware as another guilt edged chance went begging.

Lowe and Pilkington continued to be rocks in the Macc defence, and their partnership largely explains why the home side never really got any real sight of goal during the first half.



Keith Lowe – Fantastic performance (Pic courtesy of Chelsie Wilson)


With three minutes left before the interval, the away following thought that the lead had been doubled when Tyrone Marsh beautifully laid the ball off to Durrell and he sent a curling effort just over Dunn’s upright when it appeared to be going in.

Just before the interval, and no doubt mindful of the hairdryer treatment which was coming their way, Wrexham began to take control of proceedings.

Right on the stroke of half time, Scott Boden launch a dangerous cross in from the right and only a last-gasp header from Keith Lowe prevented Massanka from levelling.

As the half time whistle blew, the majority of Silkmen fans were pleased with what they saw, yet as the pies and beers went down everyone thought that we would need at least another goal to secure the victory.

It was the visitors who opened the second half the brighter however, as former Macc midfielder Sam Wedgbury went in to the Referee’s notebook for a cynical challenge on Scott Burgess.

On 63 minutes, Wrexham created their best chance of the match when Paul Rutherford headed over from just five yards out – much to the relief of the Silkmen faithful.

Six minutes later there was drama at the other end when Elliott Durrell skipped past the Wrexham defence before smashing a low cross in which was duly converted by Tyrone Marsh. With the Silkmen fans in raptures once more, it took a minute or two to realise that the linesman had his flag up and the attempt had been ruled out!



Elliott Durrell – Caused the Wrexham defence problems all afternoon. (Pic courtesy of Chelsie Wilson).


Wrexham then had a penalty appeal turned down when Marcus Kelly appeared to be upended in the box, and for the last ten minutes the visitors had to fight gallantly to deny the hosts an equaliser.

Pilkington and Lowe in particular were absolutely awesome, even with seconds left on the clock they could be seen busting a gut to deny Wrexham any real sight of Jalal’s goal.

After four minutes added time had been played, the final whistle was blown and the party could really begin.

It was a fabulous way to start the season, and everyone must take a huge amount of optimism from it.

Let’s hope for a similar performance on Tuesday when Hartlepool come to the Moss Rose!

Wrexham: Dunn, Jennings, Smith, Pearson, Rurherford (Mackreth 72), Wedgbury, Carrington (Wright 85), Kelly, Holroyd (Massanka 34), Boden.
Subs | Dibble, Hurst.

Macclesfield Town: Jalal, Fitzpatrick, Lowe, Pilkington, Durrell (Richards 80), Marsh (Wilson 85), Lloyd, Baba, Yates, Burgess, Whitaker.
Subs | Kennedy, Hancox, Arthur.

Referee: N Hair
Attendance: 6,180
Away: 390



This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.